You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Download and read the Information for Candidates (available in the Downloads section at the bottom of this page) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
Please note that if you are taking IELTS for UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) purposes then additional options (and rules) are applicable. Visit what is IELTS for UKVI for relevant information.
If you are not taking IELTS for UKVI purposes, there are only two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. REGISTER ONLINE
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using the payment method described in step 6.
Please make sure you send us the following documents when you register for your test:
- A valid copy and original of your identification (passport or national ID card)
- A printout of the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration)
6. PAY FOR YOUR EXAM
The IELTS test fee is 160 GBP. Candidates will be required to pay the equivalent amount in Ethiopian Birr (ETB). Please check with the British Council office for the current exchange rate.
Mode of payment: cash payment order (CPO) made out to British Council from any branch of the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia
If you are taking IELTS in Mekele, the IELTS test fee to be confirmed.
You can pay for your test by cash payment order (CPO) payable to ‘British Council’ from any Commercial Bank of Ethiopia branch (CBE). Please note that we do not accept cash.
- Monday to Friday 9.00 to 19.00. (16:30-19:00 only information provision services)
- Saturday 13.30 to 18.30 (only information provision services)
Please send all documents to the address below or deliver it in person to our office:
PO. BOX 1043
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. If we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
7. AFTER YOU REGISTER
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
For more information please contact our Exams Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a 25 percent administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form (download on this page) along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
TEST DAY TRANSFERS
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.