Book your exam online and access our free preparation materials today.
When you book an IELTS test with the British Council, you also get included in your test fee:
- Exclusive, free access to our popular online preparation course 'Road to IELTS Last Minute course', which includes 100 interactive activities, 9 video tutorials and two IELTS Academic practice tests for each of the four skills
- Five extra Test Report Forms for free that we send free of charge to institutions you’re applying to (e.g. immigration offices, universities etc.)
Choose how to take your IELTS test and book online
You can take your test at one of our official test centres on paper or on a computer. All you need is a valid identification document and a bank card if you want to pay online.
|Test type||Fee (ETB)||Book|
IELTS Academic - in centre (paper or computer)
|11,154.00||Find a test date
|IELTS General Training - in centre (paper or computer)||11,154.00||Find a test date|
|IELTS Academic for UKVI - in centre (paper or computer)||
|Find a test date
|IELTS General Training for UKVI - in centre (paper or computer)||11,300.00||Find a test date|
|IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1) - in centre||8,310.00||Find a test date|
What you need to book:
- Make sure you have a form of valid ID (passport or national ID card) at hand, as you will need to provide details when you book your test. Please note that candidates under 18 years of age have to supply written consent by a parent or guardian in order to apply for a test place.
- Download and read our Information for Candidates, which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for test takers under the age of 16.
- For IELTS for UKVI, you can apply online (above) or or you can download this booking form and apply at your test centre.
- Pay for your test. You can pay for your test by a direct bank transfer to the British Council bank account 1000004548446 (see the instructions here) from any branch of the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia. Note that it is MANDATORY TO STATE YOUR IELTS REFERENCE NUMBER which starts with ET001- in the cash deposit slip under the deposited by section. Please note that we do not accept cash.
- Once you have made the payment, please email us the following documents within five working days using ET_Payments@britishcouncil.org:
- a copy of the email confirming that you have been registered online
- a valid scanned copy of your passport or national ID card
- a test fee cash deposit slip
If we do not receive the above documents within five working days, your application will automatically be cancelled.
After you have booked your test
You will receive emails confirming:
- the start time of your test and the venue address
- your Speaking Test date
- your access to the free online preparation courses: Road to IELTS Last Minute Version and IELTS WordReady.
More information about the test
Download and read our Information for Candidates to learn everything you need to know about the format, the different exam components and test results.